Ranger Blog: Distress
Ready to be festively distressed once again? The Dream Team at Dreamweaver Stencils have been playing with Tim Holtz Distress Paints, and are ready to inspire you to be distressed as well…paint distressed that is! Dreamweaver Stencils are the perfect choice to mix with all things festively distressed, as nothing shows off color and texture better than great designs. Follow their hop and leave some love for an opportunity to win a great prize package including five Ranger Distress Paints and five Dreamweaver Stencils! The hop starts at the Dreamweaver Blog. Enjoy!
We’ve been sharing some great fall and Halloween projects lately and will continue to do so all next week. Today we have a Distress Halloween Headstones tutorial by Candy Colwell! Check out the project page here for a full materials list, instructions, and step-out photos!
Now we want to see what you’ve been making. From now until noon eastern time on Halloween you can submit a photo of your fall or Halloween themed project for a chance to win some awesome Ranger products! What are you playing for you ask? Well… While getting ready for the big Warehouse Sale tomorrow, we found 3 leftover VIP bag from the CHA Summer Show. Each bag contains a mix of the new products we launched at the show and an awesome Ranger apron.
Ready to craft? Great! Submit your project using the InLinkz form below:
We have a great Halloween project for you today. Take a look at this Distress Halloween Box by Carolyn Ross! Wow! After reading all about how to make this amazing project, head over to Carolyn’s post over at the The Crafty Scrapper to enter their contest!
Ok, let’s get started! For this project you will need:
1. Using Tim Holtz Alteration dies from Sizzix, cut out two plaque edges, crow, moon, graveyard edge, branch tree, 31 and cut two ¾ x 4 ¼ strips from grunge board.
2. Glue plaque edges and strips to the edge of a small configuration box. Paint with Black Gesso. When dry, coat with Rock Candy Crackle Paint (do not use heat gun to dry crackle paint).
3. Dab Spiced Marmalade Distress Paint on frame.
4. Mist with water allowing the paint to go into the crackles. Dab excess off with paper towel. Brush paint around the edges.
5. Using Walnut Stain, Frayed Burlap, Forest Moss And Mustard Seed Distress Paint, paint the moon, branch tree and “31” grunge board pieces. Paint crow with Black Gesso.
6. Apply the metallic brushed pewter and tarnished brass distress stain to the graveyard edge piece.
7. Sand grunge board pieces and ink with Gathered Twigs Distress Ink using a Blending Tool with Foam. Ink edges of graveyard piece with Peacock Feathers Distress Ink.
8. Cover crow with Glossy Accents. It will look milky but will dry clear, do not use heat gun to dry.
9. Apply Mustard Seed Distress Stickles to the moon, spread with your finger.
10. Cut one 5 x 5, one 1 ½ x 7 and four 1 ½ x 5 stripes of pattern paper. Stamp (CMS139) “trick or treat” on 7 inch strip of paper.
11. Using stencil stars (THS008), tape with tissue tape to 5 x 5 papers to secure. Using tissue tape, tape over stars that you do not want to show. Using Wendy Vecchi translucent embossing paste and Ranger Craft Scraper apply embossing paste to stencil.
12. Apply Seedless Preserves Distress Glitter to paste, shake excess onto a scratch piece of paper and pour back into glitter jar.
13. Glue strips of paper in the insides of the box and the 5 x 5 piece in the bottom of the box. Using Ranger Pop-It Shapes, glue moon to upper right hand corner. Glue crow in the branch tree, glue graveyard edge and branch tree in the box creating a 3-D effect.
14. Put cover on and glue “31” to the center top of the frame. Banner fold the stamped paper, snip ends and glue to the bottom of the frame.
Happy Halloween Tag by Daniela Mozo
- Tim Holtz Distress Glitter-Seedless Preserves, Rusty Hinge, Black Soot, Peeled Paint
- Tim Holtz Distress Stain-Ripe Persimmon, Mowed Lawn, Squeezed Lemonade
- Tim Holtz Distress Paint-Forest Moss, Fired Brick, Chipped Sapphire
- Tim Holtz Distress Ink-Spiced Marmalade, Old Paper, Brushed Corduroy
- Stickles Glitter Glue-Orange Peel, Dark Blue
- Perfect Medium Ink Pad
- Perfect Pearl Pigment Powder-Forever Violet
- Perfect Pearl Brushes
- Adirondack Pigment Ink-Pitch Black
- Archival Ink-Jet Black
- Ranger Glossy Accents
- Ranger Non-Stick Craft Sheet
- Ranger Surfaces #12 Manila Tag
- Dylusions Day of the Head Stamp Set
- Dylusions Stencils – Bert
Halloween Treat Bag by Patti Behan
- Ranger Surfaces Manila Cardstock
- Tim Holtz Distress Paint-Chipped Sapphire, Brushed Pewter, Seedless Preserves
- Tim Holtz Distress Ink Pad-Chipped Sapphire, Black Soot, Seedless Preserves, Ripe Persimmon
- Tim Holtz Distress Glitter
- Archival Ink Pad-Jet Black
- Ranger Wonder Tape
- Ranger Non-Stick Craft Sheet
- Ranger Heat it Craft Tool
- Ranger Glossy Accents
Learn how to make this bag by checking out the tutorial over on Patti’s blog!
My local craft store is full of leaves, flowers, and home décor items that could really use some better coloring. My solution? Get out my Ranger color mediums and customize! This project is quick, easy, and requires no adhesive. Thanks to my paints, stains, and mists I have a unique home décor piece that will grace my mantle this fall – and for many years to come. -May Flaum
For this project you will need:
1. Cover the pumpkin with a thin coat of Distress Paint in Picket Fence.
2. Once dry, use Spiced Marmalade and Rusty Hinge paints to cover the pumpkin.
We are so happy to see such a positive response to the new Distress Paint colors. We’re glad you are as excited as we are. These additions are sure to be a part of some amazing holiday projects this year. As promised we are giving away a few sets, but first we want to share this very cool project by Marjie Kemper.
This Dylusions/Distress Altered Composition Notebook is the perfect way to put a crafty touch on a traditional, boring composition notebook. For this project you will need:
- Dylusions Ink Sprays: Lemon Zest, Squeezed Orange, Bubblegum Pink, After Midnight
- Tim Holtz® Distress Paint: Picked Raspberry, Black Soot
- Tim Holtz® Distress Ink Pads: Picked Raspberry, Spiced Marmalade
- Ranger Non-Stick Craft Sheet™
- Ranger Glossy Accents™
- Stampers Anonymous Tim Holtz® Collection Cling Mount Stamps: Eye Chart, School House, Dot Fade, Measured, Bubble
- Tim Holtz® by Tonic Studios® | Kushgrip Snips
- Tim Holtz Idea-ology: Kraft Resist Paper Stash, Film Strip Ribbon, Ornate Plate, Sprockets, Gears, Mini Gears, Muse Token, Paperclip, Long Fasteners
- Tim Holtz Alterations by Sizzix: Vagabond machine, Styled Label die, Washer Border die, Dot Matrix Texture Fade, and Collage Texture Fade
- Composition Notebook
- Xyron® 9” Creative Station
- Crop-a-Dile Corner Chomper
- Golden gel medium
- Making Memories tiny alphabet stickers
Step 1. Cut a piece of Kraft Resist paper to fit the notebook cover and round the right-hand corners.
We have some exciting news to share today! Ranger and Tim Holtz® are excited to announce 6 new shades of Distress Paint!
Perfect to add a festive feel to your holiday projects, but diverse enough to use all year round, Distress Paints are now available in Festive Berries, Aged Mahogany, Pine Needles, Stormy Sky, Iced Spruce, and Evergreen Bough!
To celebrate this launch, we will be giving some of these awesome new colors away. To be entered, leave a comment below telling us which one of these new colors is a “must have” for you. We’ll pick a few winners on Monday, so be sure to check back.
Read the official press release here, check out the photos of Stormy Sky in the making below, then head over to Tim’s blog for more photos, information, and another contest!
Happy Friday! Everyone know the old saying, “one man’s trash is another man’s treasure.” As you probably know the same can be said for art! Today, Wendy Vecchi is the Simon Says Stamp STAMPtember® Special Guest… in her post, she shows how she made an amazing tag from this piece of manila cardstock that was used to wipe up some excess distress stain a few weeks early that was almost *GASP* thrown away.
Head on over to Simon Says Stamp’s blog by clicking here to see the rest of the transformation! If you’re looking for more inspiration from Wendy, take a look at this So Very Happy Tag we published yesterday that features her new Designer Series Archival Inks!
Exciting news!! Dyan Reaveley is returning to the US this fall to teach her amazing workshops! Dyan’s unique and fun approach to journaling will be sure to bring out your inner artist. You can check out her schedule here.
Many thanks to all who participated in our Distress Paint contest! In case you missed it, you can find all the entries here. Since we received so many creative entries we decided to pick a few winners instead of just one…
- Lisa H
- Caroline Duncan
Congratulations! You will receive an email from us shortly with information on how to claim your prize.
Ranger and Tim Holtz are pleased to announce the addition of six colors to the Distress Paint product line – Ripe Persimmon, Scattered Straw, Crushed Olive, Dusty Concord, Pumice Stone and Gathered Twigs. Arriving just in time for Fall, this paint palette is sure to add just the right amount of a festive feel to holiday projects.
If you’re a Distress fan (who isn’t), then you probably already own these colors in another product… Ink Pads, Markers, and Stains… and would love to add these to your Distress Paint collection. With that being said, we want to celebrate the launch of these new colors of Distress Paint by giving some away!
To be entered for a chance to win a set of the 6 new colors, use the submission form below to upload a project you created that features Ripe Persimmon, Scattered Straw, Crushed Olive, Dusty Concord, Pumice Stone and/or Gathered Twigs from any other Distress Line! We’ll choose a winner on Monday, September 9th! Good luck and happy crafting!