Learn a quick technique for using Distress Stains, a Tim Holtz Ink Palette and Waterbrush to make this wispy journal page.
By Wendy Vecchi
1. Cut the Specialty Stamping Paper to 3 1/2 x 5 inches, then add holes to fit your journal.
2. Use the waterproof pen to draw a 3-inch square, with the bottom of the square about 3/4 inches from the bottom of the page. Use the same pen to doodle an irregular line around the square.
3. Add Tumbled Glass Distress Stain to one well of the Ink Palette & add Rusty Hinge to another.
4. Use the Mister with water to lightly mist the paper. Use the Broad Nib Water Brush to pick up the Tumbled Glass Stain & paint the square with an uneven amount of ink. Add Rusty Hinge Stain to the area outside the square, overlapping the colors a bit. Partially dry to create uneven color. Blot off excess fluid & dry.
5. Use French Ultramarine Archival to randomly stamp several areas with the script background & dry.
6. Use Saffron Archival to stamp several random areas with the honeycomb background & dry.
7. Use Jet Black to stamp GROW in the bottom right corner, dry, then fill in the letters with the Faded Jeans Distress Marker.
8. Use the waterproof pen to draw the beginnings of the fern.
9. Add Peeled Paint Distress Stain to one well of the Ink Palette. Use the Detail Water Brush to pick up the ink and starting at the center of the fern, press the brush on each side of the drawn line to create the individual leaves.
10. Continue adding leaves to each of the drawn lines. You can always go back & add more lines to fill it in, if needed. You’ll see that the water brush adds water to the ink, when you press & creates a watercolor effect. Dry page.
11. Use a bit of Weathered Wood Distress Ink on the Blending Tool with foam, to add shading under the fern.*note* The Distress does not blend with the leaves, like you would expect…it’s MAGIC!
12. Use Rusty Hinge Distress Ink on the Blending Tool to add shading to the page edges.
13. Add Faded Jeans Distress Stain to one well of the Ink Palette. Use the Detail Water Brush to pick up the ink. Tap the Water Brush on your finger, over the page to add random dots of color. Dry.
14. Use the waterproof pen to add doodling around the edge of the page.
15. You can customize your page with journaling, if you’d like.